zondag 27 oktober 2013

Today - October 27 - is a special day


Today is a special day for me : the day my adulthood started . It is the day when I left my parents as an 18 years old girl and I went on a journey into the  wide world . For ever.
On October 27, I took the train to Paris and started travelling through all the countries of Europe , included Turkey and Morocco . What I did not know is that the rest of my life would be based on this trip.
I started off with a interail card ( travelling by train for a month ) and after that I hitched hiked. With backpack and guitar I wandered from city to city to make music .
I was soon joined by a woman from the USA . She was a ship's cook but  as an American woman  an Arab country in which the ship was moored wouldn’t let her in. So she flew to Europe to visit and soon she met me (in Venice). We looked nothing alike, but needed each other badly. I needed her strength, and she needed my tent and cooking utensils. During the trip we had lots of struggle, but we were also very loyal to each other. Only later, when I was back home, I realized that there was a strong bond between us. It was not just been a physical survival ( life of the street is tough ) but also a mental journey that has shaped me . I not only carried the backpack with tent , clothing and cookware with me , but also a large luggageof the Past. This trip has beaten the bridge of my childhood to adulthood , a road which still would last long.
I have not  made ​​a CD yet , not even an ordinary good mp3, but I have written a well sold autobiography . Pseudonymous course, because the biography is very frank .
If you are interested let me know , I will send you a link .
October 27. At the moment I write this it’s 11.04 am , and at this time I was sitting in the train to Paris . There were only French people in it and I sat alone for 5 hours.
Tonight I would roam around in the dark with my guitar through the streets of Paris ,  too scared to get my guitar out and play . I remember well what a hurry all the people seemed to have in that big city . “Hurry to go home” , I said and I felt yealous because I was already homesick.The first night of this trip ( which took a year)  I met a guy who asked if he might  play my guitar and I said yes . It was on the square of the Pompidou. Nobody payed attention to his playing and then he told me to go to the subway, and play there . But I did not dare.It was a hard day, that first day, October 27.

  Luckily I'd take the step tomorrow and discover that I could come around with  singing folk songs . I discovered my strength and learned how to survive under difficult circumstances.  I learned to believe in the goodness of people, despite the occasionally unpleasant experiences. I still feel save at public places, just drinking coffee (with lots of sugar because sometimes I didn’t have much to eat). That’s one of the reasons I go everyday to the restaurant of the HEMA; I feel happy there because I am aware of the temperature, the people and the coffee. I stare out the window and imagine I will play in the streets again after I drank my coffee, and I remember that will feel safe again while I am singing, because singing is like a meditation.  
Today I recall as a dark rainy day of Autumn , an uncertain beginning of a new life . A beautiful and intense life. I will celebrate this date in the HEMA again. With a hot cup of coffee and I will realize where I am now.


 


3 opmerkingen:

  1. Annette, I loved your story, I never realized you had just started traveling when I met you, Also I thought you were only 17, when I met you, What I remember is that Ester and I were on a train to Venice but I don't remember if I met you on the train or at the Venice youth hostel.. We also met Steve then and I sometimes wonder what happened to those 2 people, I would look them up on search but I don't know their last names.. And by the way, I needed you for much more than your tent, Your friendship, companionship, and spirit keep me going, I never once regretted having you as a traveling companion. I loved traveling with you and all the adventures we had, I remember being terrified when I went to Granada by myself, and you went to the beach instead, that I would not find you again. And you kept a much better record of our travels than I , I wish I had now in retrospect, I have forgotten so much. Recently I just digitized all the photos I have left but I'm missing everything from Valencia on. Especially all the cute kitten pictures.
    Anyway, I hope you will come to visit next year.! ..I am so glad we are still in touch after all these years, I just reread the trouble you had finding me when
    I left Arkansas and moved in to take care of my father. I'm glad you did, because I might have lost you, but I'm sure with all the stuff you have on the internet I would have found you again. but it still touched me that you would go to so much trouble. I do hope you translate that book into English someday so I can read it. The translators on the internet are not good, sometimes when I translate comments on Facebook they come out not quite right, but it is better than nothing I think.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen

Translate