maandag 6 januari 2014

Cafe De Doelen in Amsterdam Centre

Café De Doelen is a nice pub in the centre of Amsterdam.
I played there a year ago just after Christmas and I liked  the atmosphere and the bartenders very much. Last night I played there a lot of my own songs but I started with folksongs which I used to sing in the streets.
I thought this cafe was  suitable for British/ American folk music so I sang  covers of Sandy Denny, Simon and Garfunkel and I also played some Leonard Cohen songs.
It was the first time I put this kind of music and my own songs together in one set. I played for almost 1,5 hours, I sang 22 songs and  I felt very comfortable. This gig reminded me of the years that I was busking. At these times I played at least two hours without a break. But I must get used to fingerpicking again, because then the folksongs sounds much better.
I was  happy that my friends Jan en Frits came to listen,  they helped me to manage the PA so that I had a really nice sound and I was very relaxed because there was also a very nice audience.

If you as a songwriter like to get a gig in café De Doelen they expect you to play from 8 pm - 9 pm and after that there is an open mic. (Every Sunday)
It was almost 10 pm when Etienne came by and so I sang a few more songs and then he finished the night with his Delta Blues. I plan to come back next year so that I got into a little tradition to play here 'round Christmas and New Years Eve :) 








Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten

Translate