woensdag 4 mei 2011

Smederij and Surpise

After I finished my education to be a teacher I totally got lost. I needed time to process my extraordinary experiences and to figure out why I felt so lonely. Now maybe you feel a bit sorry for that twenty years old girl  you see on this picture, but I really wouldn’t have want to miss the experience with this mental hospital. I really met there some of my best friends.  The institution itself did not bring any solution in understanding my emotions. At last I spent my time with having a lot of fun with the friends I made  there, although for some, their life was really hard.

In these year a friend called me and told me to put on the television. There was a documentairy about people with something called synestesia. This means to me I see always colours in words, numbers and letters, names, every day has its own colour, and so on. I also am in a colour when I feel very tired or sick and the colour can bothering me. Now I know this must sound really strange, but there are lots of people who have this and I've gotten used to it. I am glad I watched the documentairy about this phenomenon.
My song "Red" is about seeing colours and that can be really chaotical if you experience your mood swings all the time. You can read my songtexts on the songpages of this blog.
When I left this institution I decided to prepare myself to do to audition for the Conservatory of Music. I knew that would take me some years because I didn’t have any musical background. I was only a girl who sang in the streets. But music was the only way I could express myself, so I took singing and solfège lessons. My singing teacher was a nice lady who encouraged me to do audition.


Paulus, Hilbrand, Annette
I started a new band and tried to sing some jazz. This was really not my style, but I had a good time with some musicians called Paul, Dick and Hilbrand. We found a space to rehearse; it was a bar that’s called “The Smederij”, nowadays a nice jazzcafé in Groningen.
Dick, Hilbrand

One day I met this guy and he was looking for musicians who wanted to play in his Caribbean band. He asked me to sing and in these days I liked to try all kinds of music so I learned some songs in Spanish. I asked my friend Hanneke to joy the music, so we sang together. The band got for example Tineke on sax, and some guys on trumpet and trombone, Junior on drums . The names of the other musicians I forgot.  The band was called SURPRISE and we did a lot of gigs.
Salsa band "Surprise"

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten

Translate