donderdag 5 mei 2011

Scarlett

Finally I did again an audition and this time I passed the examination.
There was a downside: now I was going to study classical singing. And that's not really my business !
Fortunality, I had a great teacher who wanted to learn his students improvise on their instrument. I didn't know what to do with my voice, so I took my saxophone to these lessons. When this teacher (Rob Smit)  heard me playing, he said: "Stop the singing, go on playing your saxophone. I"ll arrange a teacher for you."
So then I got classical saxophone lessons and I was happy to quit studying singing.
I really had a nice teacher ( van Lier) for the classical guitar, but they wanted me to learn to play the piano. It was better for the solfège part.
So I also quit the guitarlessons ( which I never took before, I only had a few classical lessons on the Conservatory, I really felt sorry I had to quit), and I started to take pianolessons. Which was also nice, by the way.  I think I have been studying three years and then I ran out of money. I got a basic grant, but my time was over now. I decided to study jazz for one year yet and so I did. I had a great time but still a lot of other things asked my attention at that time. So finally I left the Conservatory without no tears.

In these years I started my own band and I am still proud I did that. The musicians I played with  were really great and I am still gratefull they wanted to play my music.
Scarlett
Scarlett was very special to me. I wrote the songs and Bob, Manuel and Auke made the songs live.
We had many performances and even some people wrote about us in some music magazines.
I played guitar and saxophone, Bob played bass-guitar, Manuel guitars and Auke drummed.
You can hear the song "The Bastard" on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aB-9zFdAGQA&feature=channel_video_title


In the meantime I played also saxophone in some other jazzcombo's and one of them was called
"Nuversma's Frustraasje" which means 'a strangers frustration.'  We really played some good jazz and we played at a jazzfestival.

Carola on piano, John on drums, Auke vibes, Hans and Annette saxes and I forgot the name of the bassplayer but I remember he played really well.

At that time I also met a bassplayer called Gerard and he gave a workshop for jazzmusicians. I do have a picture of this, but I can't find it right now.

Then suddenly my life changed. When I quit the Conservatory I decided to look for a job as teacher on a primary school. I got tired of promoting myself as a musician and looking for gigs all the time. Besides, I often had to play music at night and I always had to ask to be payed for my music. To get myself together I thought it would be better to look for a 'normal' job with more guarantee stability.
I fell in love with Auke, de drummer of Scarlett and we moved from Groningen to Amsterdam.
In Amsterdam we did just one more gig with Scarlett and this picture was taken when we were the last time together.
And then I got this job as a teacher on a primary school in Amsterdam and I worked all day. And soon I got pregnant and so all my attention went to my family and work.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten

Translate